I distinctly remember reading an article some time ago, where a number of well-known interior designers were asked to name their favourite architects. Now, I can't remember many of their answers, but it did make me think about who I would be naming when the time came time for my magazine interview (!).  Now, I realise there are some very infuential and well-known names to choose from. But for me, there is one Aussie architect whose work stands head and shoulders above the rest, and always makes me weak at the knees.  

Walter Barda is the man responsible for some of the most beautiful homes on Sydney's northern beaches. His work has featured in numerous television programmes and commercials, as well as being offered as luxury holiday accomodation. What I love about his designs is that, although he has an unmistakeable style, each home is completely unique. His trademark use of beautifully detailed ceiling treatments is so distinctive, as is his obvious love of timber. As can be expected, a connection with the outdoors is paramount.


 many of his designs boast sandstone features

 Who wouldn't love working in this kitchen?






Barda often uses banks of bi-fold doors to create indoor-outdoor rooms

What a bedroom to wake up in each morning!

And as a side note, celebrity gardener Jamie Durie has been working with Barda for the past few years to design his new home. They also collaborated on the design of Hamilton Island's new yacht club villas. 

Barda has stated that he feels he's restoring a little of the northern beaches' history whenever he builds a new home, recapturing some of what's been lost from our beach suburbs.

"I often think: 'Oh that's great, we have put one back!' " he says. "Because overseas they celebrate and revere their little timber homes but we never did. There were a lot of timber structures that have been eradicated up and down the coast and sadly we end up with brick veneer suburbia."

I love his philosophy almost as much as I love his designs!
 


images 1 - 8 via walterbardadesign.com
images 9 - 11 via realestate.com.au

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top