This week I am mixing up the schedule a bit and bringing to you the Reader Space a bit early.  With good reason of course (more on that soon), and also because everything about today's space is simply fabulous.


I am still getting acquainted with my sewing machine, but I have quickly realized that just like many craft-like hobbies, there are a lot of special tools and accessories that can be used to make some really amazing projects.  Pair all those accessories with machine parts, fabrics and threads and suddenly a dreamy work room is in order.

Maggie has gone ahead and created such a beautiful sewing space, and I am head over heals smitten with her style.  Not only does the room boast darling touches throughout, it offers sweet and simple solutions paired with a room setup to sew anything your heart could dream up.  Maggie uses this space to also share her stories on her blog, Maggie Overby Studios.  In fact, I read on Maggie's site that, "Big messes mean lots of magic" and I couldn't have loved that statement more!  I asked Maggie to join us today and talk to us more about this amazing part of her home; the spot where all of her magic is made.


What is the main function of the space?


"This room serves all kind of purposes but it is primarily a sewing and craft room, as a blogger I also use the sunny corner of this room by the chair for photography."


Any superstar tips for keeping it organized?


"Having a place for everything and putting things back in their place. When I’m in the midst of a big project I admit the room looks like something has exploded but when it’s time to get things back in order having a place for everything to be tucked away is key.


I would also recommend keeping like items together and since color is so essential in sewing and crafting I often organize by color as well."


What items did you find were essential when organizing this space and why?


"Containers, containers, containers! Sewing and crafting involves lots of small objects that need to be kept under control.


I am not a container snob, any container from any part of the house that can keep things under control is welcome in the sewing room.




One of my favorites are some little boxes I bought in antique store after the filming of 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' (filmed in New Orleans.) I don’t think the boxes are even seen in the movie, I watched for them, but they were part of the button factory set. Each has a Button’s Buttons label and a vintage button glued to it. I add a note to each label of what’s inside and use them to store things like labels and ric rac. I love that these have a story behind them but are still useful."



What did you do to go the extra mile and "make it pretty"?


"I always make my own curtains and pillows so when I found the amazing red Ikea chair at the thrift store for $25, I knew exactly the fabric I could pull from my stash to make it all work together. I also made a new Ironing board cover that would coordinate with the curtain fabric.


I like that I have a little corner of the room where I can sit and relax or have someone visit while I’m working."



What items did you DIY to stay on a budget?


"Aside from the sewing projects I mentioned above, I also I take photos for my blog and Instagram daily so to make my life easier I made my own photo back."


How this space impacted your life for the better?


"When I first started sewing I actually sewed in a closet, since them I have worked my way up to a corner of the living room, then I took over the dining room, and now I finally have a room of my own. Having this space means I am free to create any time I’d like without worry of my work being disturbed. The room is not big but having it well organized means more time and space to create."

 

There are so many great elements in this entire room.  First, furniture placement is really smart.  She has a tall cabinet to hold a large variety of supplies, big and small.  She has a standing work table in the center of the room where she can really spread out, yet still can store an abundance of fabrics below.  And along the sloped wall, she was able to place two more workspaces for sewing paired even more storage within the drawers below.  This type of setup is truly a dream for any sewing enthusiast, but this same layout and concept would be ideal in just about any craft room situation.

I also love that Maggie's storage solutions are not at all fussy, just resourcefulness at its best.  Baskets on their sides to hold stacks of fabric, decorative jars for accessory storage, clip boards for fabric swatches and spice tins for additional small materials.  Her tip to shop the home is spot on!  Not only does the storage she selected function well, it doubles as a beautiful way to display her sewing materials.  Storage that doubles as decor?  #winning  And can we talk about how my heart oozed while she told the story of the little antique boxes?

Maggie, you did everything right when you set up your sewing room, thank you so much for sharing it with us today.

You can read more about Maggie's smashing space on her blog here and here.


*  All images courtesy of Maggie Overby Studios
 
ATTENTION!!  Want to be featured in a Reader Space edition?  Have an awesome organizing story to share?  I am looking for projects that have made a positive impact to your life, big or small.  They can be anything from an organized drawer or cabinet to an entire room.  Please submit your story and photos to iheartreaderspace@gmail.com, and I would heart to feature them right here on the blog!!  Photos should be high resolution and unedited.  Please include a description of the project and how it has changed your life or routine for the better!  Oh, and no worries my friends, we will NEVER judge "before" pictures because that just wouldn't be nice!  Only love goes on at this blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top