We recently made a sweet and simple gift for a fellow friend and it was so easy, I thought I would share today. 



What I love about this project is: a) it was inexpensive, around $15,  b) it can be customized even more with paint or stencils or vinyl, and c) it was easy peasy to build!  Here are the materials we ended up using:

Helpful tools:
  • Clamps
  • Saw
  • Brad Nailer
 
I wanted the hair tool organizer to be about 16" wide and 4 1/2" deep, so we cut down the MDF board accordingly.


I applied wood glue to each edge and created a basic window box shape out of the cut pieces.  The square dowel was cut down to act as support in each corner and give me something to nail into.


I then used a clamp to hold the edges of the box together while I adjusted each edge to ensure everything was nice and flush.  I then used our brad nailer paired with 5/8" nails and secured all edges of the box.


The organizer would work just as well as is at this point, but I had some spare moulding and wanted to add a decorative touch.  Simple 45 degree miter cuts did the trick.


I applied more glue to the back of the moulding and held each piece in place with blue painter's tape until all cuts were made.


And again, only nailed the trim in the corners where there was enough wood for the nail to grab hold.


Next up, wood putty!  I used putty on all of the edges and to fill any visible nail holes.


We had some sanding pads nearby, so I grabbed an ultra fine grit and went over the entire box once the wood putty was dry.


I gave the box a single coat of primer and two coats of white enamel paint, sanding more in-between each coat.


Once the paint was dry and cured, I used two empty quart paint cans, and inserted them into the box.


I used a ball of mounting putty, but realized that the cans still slid around a little inside.  If you like the flexibility, then it holds well enough.  The can could also be attached with glue or velcro.


I left enough room on either side of the cans, so the cords from the hair tools had a place to land/tuck away.  The paint can is the perfect size for a hair dryer, while it was a little large for a single barrel curling iron.  I probably could have fit both a hair straightener and curling iron into the single paint can.  An empty soup can would also work just as well.


Because the organizer is 16" long, there was enough space in-between each can to hold daily hair care products as well.


I just popped my own items inside for a quick picture, but I can't wait to gift this little project to a pal.  The box could be stained or painted in any shade, and a name or pattern could also be applied to the face with vinyl.  Too cute!  And if bathroom surface space is limited, the entire unit can be mounted to the wall with basic keyhole hanger hardware.

I sort of wish I had a need for one of these, it turned out pretty darling and was an easy build (even I could do it with limited power tool experience).   And it is versatile enough it could also be used to organize craft supplies or act as a beautiful planter in the center of a table or on a mantle.  Multiple functions is always a win, am I right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top