This week's quick tip is more of a free printable, but it is a good one!


My girlfriend and I were recently chatting about my home goal for this year and how I decided that I am going to try harder than ever to be really selective about the items I am purchasing for my home.  That I want to really shop with intention, vs. impulsively snagging a throw pillow from the shelves at Target.  I have always loved Target, but I haven't stepped foot in one since the first of the year, and I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.  My wallet is grateful too!

In that discussion with my friend, she mentioned that she has been inspired to do the same.  She has a lot of big events coming up this year, and she wants to get her home ready, but doesn't want to fall into impulsive buying habits for the sake of finishing things quickly.  After a little brainstorming, we decided that we could both benefit with a little "wish list".  So I made one!


How many times have you added something to your online cart, only to look back at it a month or two later and feel grateful that you didn't impulsively click that Purchase Now button?  I know I do that all the time.  You know what else I do?  Go to thrift stores to seek out something cool or pick up something and think, "I could totally make this item look waaaay better!"  But just because I think I could, doesn't mean I should.  When I went on a purging spree this year, so many items that didn't make the cut were old thrift store purchases or impulsive home good purchases that never meant that much to me.  Being organized is not just about clearing the clutter, it is about making sure you don't have to keep clearing the clutter.  I am trying to learn from my mistakes and want to do what I can to purge and donate less frequently.

So to stick with my goal, my plan is to keep a running list of "wish list" items.  Things that I think I need for our home, whether it be for the kitchen renovation or a future project.  That way, when I take a shopping trip, I have a list to go by.  If I spot something I think I love, if it is not on the list, it doesn't go in the cart.  Beautiful candle holder?  Not on the list, not in my cart.  Gorgeous glass lamp?  Not on the list... not coming into my home.  Seems easy enough right?


The goal is to be sure that I am really thinking about my purchases, giving myself a budget, and doing my best in taking my time until I find the perfect solution.  We have always been fairly good about this, but I want to be even better.  So I popped the printable into my planner to use during the year.  And if you are a digital gal, I have also used Pinterest in a similar manner and it works pretty well to keep track of things you love, and things you find yourself changing your mind about.

{ Download 8 1/2 x 11" Letter Size Here | Download 5 1/2 x 8 1/2"  Jr. Size Here }

I created one for purchases, and one for project planning.  I find myself needing both, especially as I blog about projects big and small we do throughout the year.  And I am giving them to all of you for free today as well.  After I posted my goals for this year, it was lovely hearing that many of you were hopping in the boat right along with me.



Looking for more quick tips?  Check out the entire series here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top